Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Welcome Back MHC Adult Choir!

Hello MHC Adult Choir!

I hope you had a wonderful summer and are now ready to get back to singing! As you most likely already know, we are going to tackle Antonio Vivaldi's Gloria (RV589) this semester! I have chosen this piece for several reasons. First of all, it is a fantastic piece for a Christmas concert. It is festive, happy, and easy for an audience to listen to - this is largely due to the fact that most of the sections are in a major key, have a quick tempo, and are repetitve. I realize that many of you are familiar with the piece, and that is a good thing! Hopefully this will allow us more time to become very comfortable with the pitches, rhythms, and texts and therefore be able 'fine tune' our sound in the later rehearsals. It is my goal to spend at least half of our rehearsal time working on more artistic aspects of the music: dynamics, timbre, diction, interpretation, etc, instead of 'note-pounding' in the final rehearsals.

If you have never sung Mr. Vivaldi before, fear not! You will find that it is simpler than the previous works we've done and you will catch on quickly. And, of course, I have linked some very helpful youtube videos which you can find below.

I am excited for a new year and am looking very much forward to working with you all again! Please check back here often as I will likely 'geek out' and write some more about Vivaldi and his Gloria. Also, please feel free to leave comments on the blog, email me, or call me if you have any questions at all, or even if you just want to tell me about your day.

Christmas Concert: Tuesday, December 15, 2009. Please mark it on your calendars!

Lets Sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment