MHC Halloween Concert (please send suggestions for a better title...)
Saturday, October 30, 7 pm (TENTATIVE)
MHC Adult Choir
- Harvest Hymn - Ryan Taylor - I like the text in this piece. It may be a stretch for a Halloween concert... we'll see...
- A Halloween Quodlibet - Ryan Taylor - this is a piece that will continue teaching us how to have fun with choral music. A quodilbet is a group of songs that can be sung at the same time.
- Ho, Ho, Ho, Dido & Aeneas - Henry Purcell - Purcell is a famous English composer and he just happened to write an opera with a scene full of scary witches, perfect for Halloween. We will do part of a scene from this opera. These are the chorus parts:
- Score 1
- Score 2
- Score 3
- Recording (this recording includes the recitatives, and duets which happen between each chorus part - we will do the entire scene as heard here. If you're interested in seeing the scores for the other sections, click here)
- Deamon Irepit Calidus - Gyorgy Orban
- Recording (the tempo in this recording is quite slow, but it allows for you to hear each part better. We'll go as fast as snot. Check out other youtube videos to see how differently each choir does this song!)
- Score - this piece is relatively new so it is not available in the public domain and therefore I cannot link to it. You'll have to wait until September to see the score for this!
- Daemon irrepit callidus
Allicit cor honoribus;
Daemon ponit fraudes inter laudes, saltus, cantus
Quidquid amabile daemon dat
Cor Jesu minus aestimat.
Cordis aestum non explebunt, non arcebunt, Daemon!
The demon sneaks expertly,
Tempting the honorable heart;
He offers trickery amid praise, dance, and song.
However amiably the demon acts,
it is still counted less than the heart of Jesus.
Poor, passionate, undisciplined demon!
- Old Abram Brown - Benjamin Britten
- Witches Chorus, Macbeth - Giuseppe Verdi
- Score (pages 8-16)
- Che faceste? Dite su!
Ho sgozzato un verro!
M’è frullata nel pensier
La mogliera d’un nocchier
Al dimòn la mi cacciò
Ma lo sposo che salpò
Col suo legno affogherò
Un rovaio io ti darò
I marosi io leverò
Per le secche lo trarrò
Un tamburo! Che sarà?
Vien Macbetto. Eccolo qua!
Le sorelle vagabonde
van per l'aria, van sull'onde
Sanno un circo lo intrecciare
Che comprende e terra e mar.
What did you do? Say now!
I’ve slaughtered a boar,
To me fluttered in thought
the wife of a sailor
she cast me out to the devil
But the spouse who sailed
with his ship, I’ll drown.
I’ll give thee a north wind
The billows I will raise
I’ll drive him onto the shoalsA drum! What will it be?
Hail now, Macbeth!
The sisters vagabond
go through the air, go on the waves
They know a circle how to weave
- The Fate of Gilbert Gim
- A Tragic Story - Benjamin Britten